One of my blog readers asked me about shift Handover in a DBA job and how to prepare it. What is the importance of it for a DBA?
I am trying to reply and the best possible points to ponder.
In a 24/7 production environment, handover plays an important role for all DBA team members. Hand over is a list of running, pending activities which is given from the current shift to coming shift members during the overlap timing in a DBA team so that all members must aware of all the activities and they can proceed and follow up the same in the absence of other team members.
Handover format may be Excel sheet or company specific standard template.
A summary of few points are below to ponder & useful for preparing appropriate Handover:
- To share all details of all on going activities e.g. ticket number, server name, database name etc.
- Need to provide the information about any new task assigned in the shift.
- Provide the information about any issue which needs to be troubleshooting and reply to client.
- To prepare an activity plan if there is any upgrade or any project work needs to be done in near future.
- Follow up emails or communication which is pending to reply.
- Any meeting or conference call with client needs to cover up, mention the details in the list.
- Shift reports if pending and need to send to client or within team or to the management.
- Any technical document which needs to be prepared.
- Any technical session, discussion within team, with other teams or with client needs to be in the list.
- Any other task specifically assigned to specific DBA, needs to be shared with him\her.
If anyone has any other points please make the comments so that people may get advantage.
Looking forward your likes & comments!!!